DID YOU KNOW THAT –
When you charter a crewed yacht – you should pay a “tip” to the crew at the end?
- This is not compulsory and they say ‘not expected’ BUT is certainly the norm and the crew (in most cases) do go out of their way to make your holiday really special and look after you from morning till night, I guess with the hope that there may be a little reward at the end.
- Customary is 7 to 15% of the ‘charter fee’ – so cost of the boat only – but it is really a token and I have been told over and over again, that guests can leave whatever they feel they can afford or would like to leave.
- The crew certainly always appreciate whatever is given.
When chartering in Turkey, you cannot just scuba dive around the coast?
- Due to the number of valuable antiquities under these crystal waters, diving has become a very controlled activity and professional dive organisations have to supervise all scuba diving. In most cases they will come to your boat or meet your boat at or near the dive site.
- Snorkelling is not an issue and most boats are equipped with snorkeling gear.
- From starting points like Bodrum, it is easy to reach Kos and other Greek islands or from Marmaris to Symi as another option.
- It is very important to remember though that these are two different countries and you do need the relevant visa’s for Greece…..and do make sure they are MULTI-ENTRY!!!
- Moving between the two countries does come at a price and boat / immigration paperwork has to be handled with a cost that varies from €300 to €800 depending on the boat and route. Don’t forget to include this in your budget.
When starting a trip in MONTENEGRO you save on taxes (VAT) that might need to be included with a standard charter trip?
- This tiny country is a tax-free region and starting a charter there before heading to Croatia, could mean saving up to 13% of taxes that would ordinarily be added to or included in the charter fees quoted.
- However in almost all cases, there would be a ONE WAY fee due to start in Montenegro but end in Croatia – however this is certainly way less than the 13% tax.
- An very exciting destination on its own, but also very close to Dubrovnik / Croatia so can be a ONE WAY or a return charter.